The Museum of La Plata, is the Natural History Museum in La Plata, Argentina.
The museum, connected with the National University of La Plata, houses one of the most important paleontological and anthropological collections in South America.
The main entrance to the museum and one of the Smilodons at the entrance.
Both image are from Wikipedia
The first collections were donated by the naturalist Francisco Pascasio Moreno,
founder and first director of the Museum.
The current collection of the museum contains around 4 million items, mostly from Argentina and other
South American countries.
The permanent exhibits are organized in 20 rooms located over two floors.
The exhibits display the entire natural history of our planet from the formation of the Universe,
through the origin of life, and even the origin of humans and their cultures.
Two Smilodon sculptures stand at the entrance of the museum.
Known Philatelic items:
(the Smilodon statues can even be seen on some of the stamps!):
Postmark of Austria 1991 - Krahuletsmuseum in Eggenburg
The oldest pieces in the Krahuletz Museum date back to the Permian age,
300 million years ago, and were found in Kamptal.
Fossil animals such as the Eggenburger Krokodil or the manatee Metaxytherium krahuletzi are among the highlights
of the museum collection and established their worldwide fame.
The Eggenburger Krokodil, whose scientific name is Gavialosuchus eggenburgensis, lived about 20 million years ago in the
estuaries on the edge of the Eggenburg Sea, similar to today’s Gavial and fed mainly on fish.
Manatee - shown on the postmark and on the logo of the museum.
The scientific name of these manatees is “Metaxytherium krahuletzi”, they were named after Johann Krahuletz, who had found the first bones.
They lived about 20 million years ago on the coast of the tropical Eggenburg Sea.
In the communal sand pit of Kühnring seven almost complete skeletons of manatees were discovered,
which likely died together during a storm surge and debris avalanche.
Known Philatelic items:
commemorative postmark of Austria 1991 (see above) "90 years of Krahuletsmuseum in Eggenburg.
Meeting of Palaeontological society"
The Museum of Natural History Vienna (German: Naturhistorisches Museum Wien),
is among the largest of its kind and one of the most important museums in Europe.
The Museum of Natural History Vienna on cachet of FDC of Austria 1976
In 39 exhibition halls, thousands of objects representing the earth and life sciences convey an
impression of the breathtaking diversity of nature.
Precious minerals, rare fossils, huge dinosaurs, and unique prehistoric findings,
such as the famous Venus of Willendorf, are presented on the mezzanine level.
The first floor is dedicated to the immense variety of animal life.
Behind the scenes, collections comprising some 25 million specimens and
artefacts are the essential basis for the work of over 60 staff scientists.
Their main fields of research cover a wide range of topics from the origins of our solar
system and the evolution of animals and plants to human evolution, as well as prehistoric traditions
Guided tours, presentations, and workshops on a variety of themes are offered regularly.
These events not only provide insight into interesting and surprising natural phenomena, but also deal with
the fascinating results of scientific research.
The Museum of Natural History Vienna on the background of
"150th Birth Anniversary of Carl von Hasenauer" stamp Austria 1983,
MiNr.: 1746, Scott: 1248
Emperor Franz I on stamp of Austria 1908,
MiNr.: 147v, Scott: 118
The earliest collections of the Natural History Museum Vienna date back more than 250 years.
It was Emperor Franz I Stephan of Lorraine, Maria Theresa’s husband, who in 1750 purchased what was at the time the world's
largest and most famous collection of natural history objects from the Florentine scholar and scientist Jean de Baillou.
This was the first step on the road to creating the Natural History Museum Vienna.
The Natural History Museum and the Museum of Fine Arts were commissioned by Emperor Franz Joseph I (1830 – 1916)
and designed by the architects Gottfried Semper (1803 – 1879) and Carl Hasenauer (1833 – 1894).
(Carl Hasenauer was commemorated on an Austrian stamp in 1983. See on the right)
The two museums have identical exteriors and face each other.
They were originally designed to be part of a much larger project – an Imperial Forum – which was never realized in full.
Work on the Natural History Museum lasted from 1871 until 1881.
On August 10, 1889 Emperor Franz Joseph I himself officially opened the museum.
When it opened in 1889, the Natural History Museum in Vienna was the first museum in Europe fully committed to the Theory of Evolution.
This was largely thanks to the determination and vision of the museum’s first Director, Ferdinand von Hochstetter (1820-1884),
who had been an enthusiastic supporter of Darwin from the very start.
By incorporating his new Anthropological-Ethnographical Department into the existing museum, Hochstetter created the first museum of
nature where humans were also presented as an object of research.
Hochstetter also used the interior design of the museum to communicate Darwin’s theory to visitors.
The most direct reference to Charles Darwin’s Theory of Evolution can be found in the Upper Dome Hall.
It is the Darwin Frieze by Austrian sculptor Johannes Benk (1844-1914), showing an ape pointing to its own chest and holding
a mirror out to a boy, who is covering his eyes because he does not want to see his own reflection and the ape.
A monkey behind the boy is holding an open book entitled “Darwin. The Descent of Man”.
With this scene Johannes Benk directly addresses visitors to the museum and confronts them with the realization that humans are descended from animals.
The Frieze was shown on the Austrian stamps "200th anniversary of the birth of Charles Darwin" in 2009 (see on the right).
The Museum of Natural History, Vienna is depicted on not only meter frankings (showing the Museum),
but was also used on meter frankings to advertise their exhibits or upcoming events.
Known Philatelic items:
commemorative stamp "Vienna Natural History Museum Centennial" of Austria 1976,
show an Ammonite from the collection of the museum.
The Museum is depicted on the cachet of an official FDC.
MiNr.: 1501, Scott: 1032.
Haus der Natur A Universal Museum of the Natural Sciences in Salzburg.
Haus der Natur Salzburg on postmark of Austria 1960
Haus der Natur – A Universal Museum of the Natural Sciences
The Haus der Natur museum of natural history has been in existence since 1924.
Since its founding, it has continually taken its visitors by surprise with a lively and modern educational
approach that has continued to develop steadily over the years.
Today the Haus der Natur is a “three-division institution” with a regional and international focus.
It encompasses the classical natural history museum, high-quality zoo divisions, and a Science Center
with a broad and varied offering.
With over 7000 square meters of exhibit space, the Haus der Natur is currently Salzburg’s largest museum.
The museum was conceived and founded in 1924 by Eduard Paul Tratz as “New Natural History Museum”.
It was originally located in the former Hofstallkaserne, in what is today the Salzburg Festival Hall.
In 1936 the museum was renamed “Haus der Natur”.
The museum contain several halls about Life Evolution:
PREHISTORIC TIMES AND DINOSAURS, ICE AGE AND CLIMATE and more.
The PREHISTORIC TIMES AND DINOSAURS Hall covers the entire Mesozoic Era, encompassing the Triassic, Jurassic, and Cretaceous periods,
dinosaurs were the dominant group of animals.
Here visitors can view them as original fossils, high-quality casts, and in the case of the Allosaurus, as a roaring mobile replica.
Also on display: the largest completely-extant skeleton of a Steneosaurus, original fossils of
one of the most valuable is the skeleton of a female with two embryos in her body about to be born – and the Mastodonsaurus,
the largest amphibian of all time.
The exhibition "Ice Age and Climate" provides insights into the last 2.6 million years of the Earth's history.
The Ice Age is characterized by a constantly changing climate, which changed our landscapes as well as the fauna and flora again and again.
It is also the age of the Humans who spread from Africa to the earth.
Just 20,000 years ago, the city of Salzburg was buried under a 1,000 metre thick glacier.
A special highlight is the mummy of a woolly rhinoceros from Starunia.
This is a plaster replica of the animal as it appeared when found in 1929.
The exhibition informs about details of this extinct rhino species and the unique finds from Starunia in today's Ukraine.
(Fossil and reconstruction of the woolly rhinoceros from Starunia were depicted on the cachet of
commemorative cover of Ukraine in 2009)
Some views from The PREHISTORIC TIMES AND DINOSAURS and ICE AGE AND CLIMATE halls of Haus der Natur Museum in Salzburg.
Images credit: the musuem website
Known Philatelic items:
commemorative postmark of Austria 1960 (see above) "Natural History on stamps"
Belgium The Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences is a museum in the
Belgian capital of Brussels dedicated to natural history.
Its most important pieces are 30 fossilized Iguanodon skeletons, which were discovered in 1878 in Bernissart.
The dinosaur hall of the museum is the world's largest museum hall completely dedicated to dinosaurs.
Another famous piece is the Ishango bone, which was discovered in 1960 by Jean de Heinzelin de Braucourt.
Like in most museums, there is a research department and a public exhibit department.
Stylized Iguanodon dinosaur from the reverse side of the stamps booklet.
Fossilized skeleton of Iguanodon dinosaur on stamp of Belgium 1966,
MiNr.: 1427, Scott: 664
The museum was founded on 31 March 1846 as a descendant of the Muse de Bruxelles of 1802.
It was based on the collection established by Prince Charles Alexander of Lorraine, which dated from the 18th century.
Bernard du Bus de Gisignies, became the first director of the museum in 1846.
On this occasion he donated 2474 birds from his own collection to the museum.
In 1860, during the construction of new fortifications around Antwerp, several fossils were found which were mainly from whales.
The museum also obtained the skeletons from a bowhead whale (Balaena mysticetus) and a young Blue Whale (Balaenoptera musculus),
which are still on display in the museum.
In 1860 the skeleton of a mammoth was found near Lier and was brought to the museum (on display since 1869).
At that time the only other skeleton of a mammoth was on display in the museum of Saint Petersburg (Russia).
In 1878, the largest find of Iguanodon fossils to date occurred in a coal mine at Bernissart in Belgium.
At least 38 Iguanodon individuals were uncovered, of which 30 are on display since 1882.
Since 2007, a completely renovated and enlarged dinosaur hall (the Janlet wing) of 4580 m2 is the largest dinosaur hall in the world.
Known Philatelic items:
The Museum is depicted on the cover of stamps booklet
"The 150th Anniversary of the Institute of Science" of Belgium 1996.
One of the skeletons of the dinosaur Iguanodon from the collection of the Museum,
shown on a stamp from
"National Science Heritage" of Belgium 1966.
The Museum illustrated its cover with skeletons of
the dinosaur Iguanodon from their collection.
The entrance tickets of the Museum also illustrated with
reconstruction of dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals
Belgium The Royal Museum of Central Africa is recognized worldwide for its rich, varied and
scientifically valuable collections.
The majority of its visitors are unaware of the size of this heritage as the permanent exhibition only
has about 1% on display.
The museum is known for its ethnographic objects, but its natural science collections,
archives and photos are equally remarkable.
The Royal Museum of Central Africa on stamp of Belgium 1997.
The vast majority of the objects come from the DR Congo and were
collected during the colonial period.
However, the museum's collections contain specimens from around the world, dating back 650 million years
(for some of the fossils) to the present day.
The fossil collection has more than 18,000 specimens from Central
Africa, collected through fieldwork or acquired through donations.
The collection is very diverse in terms of types of specimen (from the
remains of large reptiles to microscopic skeletons of unicellular
organisms) and in terms of age (approximately 650 million years to a
few thousand years old).
Examples of large specimen series include: stromatolites from the
Neoproterozoic (Lower Congo, Katanga, Kasaï) ; plant fossils from the
Carboniferous-Permian (Katanga) ; fish fossils from the
Jurassic-Cretaceous of the Congo Basin ; a diverse fauna from the
Cretaceous-Cenozoic of the Atlantic coastal region (Lower Congo,
Angola, Congo-Brazzaville, Gabon).
Bulgaria The National Museum of Natural History
of Bulgaria is a natural history museum located in Sofia, the capital of Bulgaria.
Founded in 1889, it is affiliated with the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, and is the first
and largest museum of this kind in the Balkans.
One of the halls of the Museum is dedicated to the Evolution of Life – Paleontology.
The National Museum of Natural History of Bulgaria on margin of
"120th anniversary of National Museum of Natural History" Souvenir Block of Bulgaria 2009.
Some attractive well-preserved fossils from different geological periods are shown in the hall.
The stratigraphy of the present Bulgarian territory is illustrated in wall posters and maps,
accompanied with the most characteristic fossils and sedimentary rocks for each period.
A wall poster presents interesting information about the ammonites, a group of mollusks which
are among the most abundant and beautiful of all fossils.
One of the most attractive specimens is the giant ammonite from the Upper Santonian
of Shumen Region — Parapuzosia sp., with diameters up to 144 cm!
Its age is estimated to be about 84 million years.
This is the largest invertebrate fossil ever found in Bulgaria.
Some fossil mammals are also exhibited here.
Most interesting of these fossils include the first (and so far, only) skull o of the giant deer (Megaloceros giganteus),
the latest representatives of the European Bison (Bison bonasus),
and a fossil tooth from Bulgaria of the gompthotheriid Anancus avernensis (Proboscidea).
Known Philatelic items (unfortunately, none of them show any fossils from the collection of the Museum):
Building of the Royal Ontario Museum on the cover and a skeleton of the dinosaur Parasaurolophus
form the collection of the Museum on self-adhesive stamps of Canada 2014.
The Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) is a museum of world culture and natural history based in Toronto, Ontario.
It is one of the largest museums in North America, attracting over one million visitors every year.
Established on April 16, 1912 and opened on March 19th, 1914, the museum has maintained close relations with
the University of Toronto throughout its history, often sharing expertise and resources.
The museum contains a collection of dinosaurs, minerals and meteorites; Canadian and European historical artifacts; a
s well as African, Near Eastern, and East Asian art.
It also houses the world's largest collection of fossils from the Burgess Shale with more than 150,000 specimens.
The Natural history galleries are all gathered on the second floor of the museum.
The gallery contains collections and samples of various animals such as bats, birds, and dinosaur bones and skeletons.
Specimens represent life during the Jurassic and Cretaceous periods, grouped within the themes: Life on Land, Life on Sea, and Life in the Air.
The dinosaurs collection including Tyrannosaurus rex, Stegosaurus, Triceratops,
the famous hadrosaur Parasaurolophus and many more.
Known Philatelic items:
set of two stamps, mint and self-adhesive,
"100th anniversary of the Royal Ontario Museum" of Canada 2014.
Skeleton of the dinosaur Parasaurolophus was depicted on one of these stamps:
Mint/Self-adhesive stamp: MiNr.: Bl. 187/3094 Scott: 2724/2724b.
Canada Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology
The museum is a Canadian tourist attraction and a centre of palaeontological research noted for
its collection of more than 130,000 fossils and located only 6 kilometers away from the city of Drumheller.
During the late Cretaceous period, 75 million years ago, the landscape was very different.
The climate was subtropical, with lush forests covering a coastal plain. Rivers flowed east, across the plain
into the Bearpaw warm inland sea.
The low swampy country was home to a variety of animals, including dinosaurs.
The conditions were also perfect for the preservation of their bones as fossils.
Since digging began in the 1880s, more than 300 dinosaur skeletons have been pulled from a 27-kilometre stretch along the Red
Known Philatelic items:
meter franking "Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology" (see above) of Canada from 1980s-1990s.
Chile Chilean National Museum of Natural History,
has twelve permanent exhibits.
The National Museum of Natural History on stamp of Chile 2007,
MiNr.: 2187 Scott: 1480
One of them is Mesozoic era vertebrates, including a specimen of Carnotaurus sastrei.
The museum has five departments including botany, zoology, entomology, anthropology, and paleontology.
Claudio Guy, founder of the Museum, is shown on the right stamp of the strip from 1980.
The building of the Museum shown on stamp with face value of 30 peso from the Museums set in 2007.
Known Philatelic items:
stamps set "The 150th Anniversary of National History Museum" of
Chile 1980. One of the stamps shows Claudio Guy, the founder of the museum, MiNr.: 937, Scott: 576.
stamp from "Museums in Santiago" set, show the museum, MiNr.: 2187 Scott: 1480.
China The Beijing Museum of Natural History,
is a museum located in Dongcheng District, Beijing, People's Republic of China.
The Beijing Museum of Natural History on stamp of China 1959 on the left and photo
of the museum on the right.
The image credit:
It is located next to the World Heritage Site of Tendan.
Its predecessor was the "Central Nature Museum", which was established in 1951
and was renamed to its current name in 1962.
With a total area of 24,000 square meters and an exhibition room of 8,000 square meters,
it is one of the largest natural history museums in China.
There are about 200,000 items in the collection, of which 20% are on permanent display.
The exhibits are broadly divided into four categories: paleontology, plants, animals and humans.
The collections of Beijing Museum of Natural History include many extremely rare specimens:
The world-famous skull of Stegodon zdanskyi, 26-meter-long Mamenchisaurus jingyanensis
and the unique mummy fossil of dinosaurs in China.
The permanent exhibitions in the Beijing Museum of Natural History are mainly arranged according
to the evolutionary trend of organisms, showing the Bio-diversity and its relationships with the
environments and establishing a panorama of the emergence and development of the life on Earth.
Known Philatelic items:
stamps set "Opening of the Natural History Museum, Peking (Beijing)" of
China 1959, MiNr.: 435-436, Scott: 407-408.
Life size dinosaur sculptures at Dinosaurs Park in Changzhou.
Postcard entrance-ticket of Dinosaurs Park in Changzhou.
also called China Dinosaurs Land (DINOLAND) is a theme park located in Changzhou, Jiangsu, China.
The entertainment park covering an area of 100 hectares, is a tourism landmark of East China
specially created by the professional Dragon City Tourism Holding Group in 2000.
As it is a theme park about dinosaurs, it is also called the "Eastern Jurassic Park".
On top of many attractions, there is park with life size dinosaur sculptures and a museum.
The museum covers about 20,000 square meters and contains more than ten halls.
The museum displays 36 skeletal remains including a nearly complete fossil skeleton of the important
dinosaur genus Sinosauropteryx as well as large fossils such as those of a Brachiosaurus
and a Hadrosaurus.
In addition, there are a lot of amusing high-fidelity game facilities.
All the games are related to prehistoric animals, such as "Pterodactyl's movement"
and "Hot dance of the dinosaur car".
Logo of the DINOLAND park in Changzhou on imprinted stamp of China,
used on some postal stationeries since 2007.
In 2007 State Post Bureau of China issued several postal stationeries
(pre-stamped post cards and pre-stamped commemorative envelope) with title "China Dinosaur Land park in Changzhou".
Both, imprinted stamp and illustration (cachet) of the pre-stamped envelope (C5 size) shows the entrance of the park
with models of some dinosaurs in the front.
Imprinted stamp on postcard attached to entrance ticket of China Dinosaur land theme park at Changzhou shows
four very recognizable prehistoric animals including three dinosaurs:
(Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Brachiosaurus) and pterosaur Pteranodon.
At least five varieties of this postcard were issued with the same stamp.
The same design was used for one of the postmarks issued in 2017
on the same date as the Chinese Dinosaur stamps above.
ChinaThe Tianjin Natural History Museum,
the museum located at the west end of Machang Road, was set up in 1914 by a French missionary and
opened in 1927, with the previous name of Beijiang Museum.
It acquired the present name in 1957.
The Tianjin Natural History Museum on stamp and FDC illustration of China 2002
The museum specializes in paleontological and paleoanthropological fossils.
The collections include over 380,000 specimens and key collections cover the paleontology
of the late period of the Chinese Cenozoic.
These Cenozoic fossils include ancient mammals excavated from the Yushe Basin of Shanxi Province,
the Qingyang Basin of the Gansu Province, the Yang Yuanni Basin of the Hebei Province, and from
As specimens of these animals are rare outside of China, the collections of the Tianjin Natural
History Museum are an important collection for the study of these organisms.
The museum has 4 major exhibits – with displays on Animals, Paleontology, Plants and Paleoanthropology.
Other fossils on display include ancient reptiles and mammals, insects and aquatic organisms.
China Xixia Dinosaur Relics Park,
is located in Nanyang City, in Xixia County of the Henan Province, People’s Republic of China.
This park is famous for its collection of dinosaur egg fossils – which have been dubbed the world’s
ninth wonder following the “terra cotta warriors and horses from Emperor Qin Shihuang’s Mausoleum”.
Entrance of Xixia Dinosaur Relics Park on "Nanyang world museum day"
postmark of China 2009.
Image credit for the photo on the right:
The regional geology around the park consists of faulted sedimentary basin, Cretaceous in age.
The park hosts a geological education square, a dinosaur egg fossils museum, a dinosaur museum,
and dinosaur egg site, and a dinosaur simulation park.
Two rare egg species from the site were named
Macroelongatoolithus xixiaaensis and
Macroelongatoolithus xixiaaensis - is an oogenus
(a type of trace fossil given a specialized genus name representing that it is a fossil egg)
of large, fossil theropod eggs.
These eggs are most notable for their large size of 34 - 60 centimetres long.
They are also very elongated, usually roughly three times longer than they are wide.
These eggs are often found in large clutches of up to 26 eggs,
with the eggs forming a ring 2–3.3 metres in diameter, their shell is typically
between 1.38 mm and 4.75 mm thick.
Prismatoolithus gebiensis is an oogenus from the Cretaceous.
These eggs, about 8 cm long and roughly ovular in shape.
The Prismatoolithid eggs are attributed to non-avian theropods on the basis of the discovery of this type of eggs
with embryos of the troodontid Troodon formosus from the Two Medicine Formation in Montana, USA,
and on the basis of the considerable resemblances with some avian eggshells.
There is also a dinosaur genus named after the city - Nanyangosaurus.
In 1994 the remains of Nanyangosaurus were found near the village of Houzhuang,
in Neixiang county in Henan.
This dinosaur is a genus of herbivorous ornithischian dinosaur and is
a basal member of the Iguanodontia that lived in the Late Cretaceous of present-day Henan Province, China.
Nanyangosaurus was a relatively small dinosaur with an estimated length of four to five metres.
China Zigong Dinosaur Museum,
located 9km northeast of the center of Zigong city, Sichuan province in Southwest China.
It is a large museum which has been built at the world-famous “Dashanpu Dinosaur Fossil Group Site”,
in Zigong UNESCO Global Geopark.
Huayangosaurus taibaii one of the most primitive and complete stegosaur,
from collection of Zigong Dinosaur Museum shown on the cachet of the postal stationery
of China 2011.
The museum was opened in 1987 and was China’s first specialized dinosaur museum.
Zigong Dinosaur Museum was praised by the US “National Geographic” magazine as “The Best Dinosaur Museum in the World”.
Covering an area of over 70,000 m2, Zigong Dinosaur Museum has a collection of prehistoric animals,
fishes, amphibians, mammals-like reptiles, mammals and of course dinosaurs.
The collection of the museum is based almost entirely on fossils discovered in Asia
and it covers almost the entire Jurassic period (201-145 million years ago).
Some highlights of Zigong Dinosaur Museum are:
The most primitive and complete stegosaur in the world – Huayangosaurus taibaii.
This stegosaur was chosen for the Logo of the Museum and is shown on the cachet of the postal stationary.
Skin impressions of Stegosaur and Mamenchisaurus sauropod dinosaurs.
Both fossils were discovered in China.
Known Philatelic items:
postal stationery of China 2011 (see on the right)
some dinosaurs from the collection of Zigong Dinosaur Museum were depicted on commemorative
postmarks in 2014
and 2017 (the famous Stegosaur Huayangosaurus taibaii).
Costa Rica The National Museum of Costa Rica
The National Museum was opened on May 4, 1887, under the presidency of Bernardo Soto.
Bernard Soto established a museum with the purpose of providing his country with a public
establishment where natural and artistic objects could be deposited, classified and studied.
The Natural History Department of the Museum has a large collection
of fossils including over 9,000 specimens of sponges, corals, mollusks, echinoderms,
vertebrates, plants and more.
This collection is the most important collection of fossil vertebrates in the country. [R18]
The National Museum in Prague on stamps of Czech Republic 2018
MiNr.: 999, Scott: 3768.
The Museum started with donations of large private collections, dedicated mostly to natural science,
by a group of local aristocrats led by Count Kaspar Maria Sternberg,
who also led an effort to set up the museum.
The paleontologic collection of the museum represent world milestones in the knowledge
of the history of life on Earth, from the Paleozoic to the Quaternary.
The visitor of the museum get acquainted with the Paleozoic animals first described by
see the rare oldest terrestrial plant in the world, Cooksonia barrandei, which dates back to
430 million years ago.
The Mesozoic part of the exhbit contain the oldest known reptiles – for example the Mesozoic sea mosasaurs and
only the Czech dinosaur Burianosaur augustai.
During this time, the territory of the Czech Republic was located much further south and the climate was subtropical.
A small life-size wooly mammoth next to its original skeleton, a furry rhino
and the scary-looking saber-toothed tiger can be seen in the Quaternary part of the exhibit.
Fossils from exhibit of the National Museum in Prague.
Images credits: nm.cz
Known Philatelic items:
stamp "National Museum in Prague" of Czech Republic from 2018,
MiNr.: 999, Scott: 3768 (see above).
The Dominican Republic The National Museum Of Natural History Prof. Eugenio De Jesús Marcano
located in the Plaza de la Cultura Juan Pablo Duarte in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic,
built by Dr. Joaquín Balaguer in 1974 and opened its doors to the public in 1982.
The building of Natural History Museum of the Dominican Republic on
International Museum Day stamp of the Dominican Republic from 2014,
MiNr: 2359, Scott 1556a.
The building consists of seven levels.
Four floors are rooms for exhibitions and three underground levels are where scientists work.
It is a state institution created for the purpose of conserving the biodiversity of the Caribbean region and studying it.
This museum has the largest scientific collection of fauna in the country with more than one hundred and
thirty thousand specimens of vertebrates and invertebrates.
The Museum is tasked with the mission to contribute to the preservation of biodiversity
on the island of Hispaniola and the Insular Caribbean and provide knowledge and awareness about biodiversity topics to the community.
The museum was named after Prof. Eugenio de Jesús Marcano, by presidential decree on August 14, 2012, in
recognition and honor of this distinguished naturalist, who was the first Scientific Director of the institution.
The goal of the museum is to carry out scientific research and maintain reference collections of fauna,
geology and paleobiology, to contribute to the knowledge and sustainable management of
biodiversity and education for citizen appreciation of science.
Paleozoic room in the Natural History Museum of the Dominican Republic.
Known Philatelic items:
One of the Mini-Sheets "World Museum Day 2014: Collections create connections"
of the Dominican Republic from 2014, MiNr.: Bl. 70, Scott: (see above).
Egypt The Egyptian Geological Museum
is a museum in Cairo, Egypt.
The museum was established in 1904 as part of the Egyptian Geological Survey.
The Egyptian Geological Survey was established in 1896 under the direction of the Khedive Ismail.
Arsinoitherium zitteli skeleton on stamp of Egypt 1979
MiNr.: 1323, Scott: 1114.
The museum was the first of its kind in the Middle East and the African continent.
The museum was initially housed in a Greco-Roman style building that was located in the gardens
of the Ministry of Public Works in downtown Cairo; it was designed by Marcel Dourgnon, the French architect
who had previously designed and constructed the Egyptian Museum (also known as the Museum of Egyptian Antiquities).
This building had an exhibition hall with ceilings 4 metres high in order to accommodate the reconstructed
fossil skeletons of paleontological finds, which included a 3 metres high ancestral elephant.
One of the fossils, the skeleton of Arsinoitherium zitteli was depicted on a Egyptian stamp in 1979. Arsinoitherium is an extinct genus of paenungulate mammals belonging to the extinct order Embrithopoda. Arsinoitheres were superficially rhinoceros-like herbivores that lived during the Late Eocene and the Early Oligocene
of North Africa from 36 to 30 million years ago, in areas of tropical rainforest and at the margin of mangrove swamps.
The species, Arsinoitherium zitteli, was named in honor of the eminent German paleontologist Karl Alfred Ritter von Zittel,
who was a pioneer of paleontology in Egypt.
The first Museum Keeper was William Andrews, a paleontologist from London's Natural History Museum, in 1904, who was followed by Henry Osborne in 1906.
The original museum was expanded in 1968 with the construction of an annex designed to house the museum's laboratories for petrology and paleontology.
The museum remained there in downtown Cairo until 1982, when the original building was torn down to accommodate construction of the Cairo Metro
and the museum was transferred to its present location near Maadi, a southern suburb of Cairo.
El Salvador Natural History Museum of El Salvador (MUHNES)
The museum was founded in 1883 during the tenure of President Rafael Zaldívar, to display the
national collections related to archaeology, history and fine arts.
Its founder and the first director was a naturalist and archaeologist David Joaquín Guzmán.
Guzman National Museum on stamp of El Salvador 1983
MiNr.: 1480, Scott: 974.
In 1875, David J. Guzman and Darío González organized an expedition to investigate the geology of
sediments of the Los Frailes River, southwest of Ilobasco.
During this exploration, they discovered
fossils of Mastodon (Gomphotherium).
The museum's first location was in a building belonging to the Universidad Nacional, before moving
to the rooms of Villa España in 1902 and being classified as a Museum of Science, Industry and Agriculture.
In 1927 the museum moved into premises in a former military hospital.
In 1941, the museum was split into Anthropologic and Natural Sciences museums.
The Anthropologic museum was renamed the David J. Guzman National Museum in honor of the founder, in 1945.
The Natural Science Museum was renamed to the Natural History Museum of El Salvador (MUHNES), in 1976.
The Natural History Museum of El Salvador is a scientific institution whose purpose is to investigate the biological
and paleontological diversity of the country, manage the National Natural History Collections, as well as transmit
and share knowledge about Salvadoran natural heritage.
The Paleontological collection of the museum shows some artifacts from El Salvador and neighboring countries.
During the Mesozoic, some marine limestones were deposited in El Salvador - unfortunately, these do not have dinosaur fossils.
Most of El Salvador's geology formed during the Cenozoic after the dinosaurs had died out and the fossil record of
El Salvador is dominated by prehistoric mammals.
Many fossils of prehistoric mammals, including 9-million-year-old teeth belonging to mastodons,
an extinct group of large mammals related to elephants, are on the show in the Natural History Museum of El Salvador.
Some fossils and reconstructions of prehistoric animals from collection of the museum were depicted on
postage stamps of El Salvador
in 1979 and 2006.
stamps set "Prehistoric Fauna from El Salvador"
of El Salvador from 1983, shows reconstructions of 6 prehistoric animals from collection of Guzman National Museum,
MiNr.: 1289-1294, Scott: 911-913, C458-C460.
The seal of the National Museum of Natural History of France on stamp of France 1983
on stamp France
The French National Museum of Natural History, known in French as the Muséum national d'histoire naturelle (abbreviation MNHN),
is the national natural history museum of France and a grand établissement of higher education ^
and part of the Sorbonne Universities.
The main museum, with four galleries, is located in Paris, France, within the Jardin des Plantes on the left bank of the River Seine.
The museum was formally established on June 10, 1793, by the French Convention, the government during the French Revolution,
at the same time that it established the Louvre Museum.
But its origins went back much further, to the Royal Garden of Medicinal Plants, which was created by King Louis XIII in 1635,
and was directed and run by the royal physicians.
The museum's aims are to instruct the public, put together collections and conduct scientific research.
As its collections grew, the museum was enlarged, with the construction of a new gallery of zoology.
It was begun in 1877 and completed in 1889, for the 100th anniversary of the French Revolution.
A new gallery of paleontology and comparative anatomy was opened in 1897.
A cover of the National Museum of Natural History of France, 2009.
In 1937 at another site, the museum opened the Musée de l'Homme, a museum of anthropology,
in the Palais de Chaillot.
This second site is across the Seine from the Eiffel Tower in a building built in 1937 for the Paris
The museum now has 14 sites throughout France.
The birthplace of the museum and a large part of its modern collections are found in five galleries
in the Jardin des Plantes, in Paris.
The Gallery of Paleontology and Comparative Anatomy
(in French, Galerie de Paléontologie et d'Anatomie comparée) is situated in the Jardin des Plantes
in Paris near the Gare d'Austerlitz.
The Gallery of Comparative Anatomy (occupying the ground floor), holds nearly a thousand skeletons and interprets their organization and classification.
The Gallery of Paleontology (occupying the first and second floor) hosts a famous collection of fossil vertebrates, fossil invertebrates and fossil plants.
Among the pieces most appreciated by the public are a series of casts of dinosaur skeletons such as
Diplodocus, Iguanodon, Allosaurus, Carnotaurus, Tarbosaurus, skulls of Tyrannosaurus
Several important prehistoric mammal skeletons are also on display including
Mammuthus, Megatherium, the Cave Bear, and many others.
The skeleton and reconstruction of Allosaurus were depicted on a
French stamp from 2000.
Fossils from collection of the National Museum of Natural History in Paris, France.
Image credits: the photo on the left is from the website of the Museum.
Another three photos were taken by admin of this site, Mr. Michael Kogan, in January 2020.
Known Philatelic items:
postmark "Bicentennial Museum of Natural History"
of France from 1993, MiNr.: 2958, Scott: 2363 (see above).
Dinosaur on inaguration of Fluery Museum in Lodeve on postmark
France from 1987.
The Lodève Museum is one of the very few museums in France to cover 540 million years of the Earth's
history using only locally collected fossils.
It is thus possible to follow the flow of the comings and goings of the sea, the movement of the
continents, climate changes, the activity of volcanoes.
Each room plunges you into a geological period – Carboniferous, Permian, Triassic, Jurassic,
Miocene – with its landscapes, animals and plants.
Multimedia makes it possible to understand the formation of continents, the evolution of
species or even the work of researchers.
Savigneen Museum (Le Musee du Savigneen)
is small museum in Savigné-sur-Lathan town in the North-West of France.
The Savignéen museum invites its visitors to return to the time of the legendary "Sea of the faluns"
dating back 15 million years.
Savigneen Museum in Faluns on postmark of
France from 1996.
The Sea of Faluns is an ancient sea that has now disappeared and which covered the West of France
around 16 to 3.5 millions of years ago.
It stretched from Normandy to Vienne (French department in the West of France, don't mix it with
the capital of Austria), forming an arm of the sea passing through Brittany, Anjou,
Touraine and Blésois.
After its withdrawal it leaved behind a rock rich in shell debris called the falun.
It therefore owes its name to this sedimentary rock known to be extremely rich in fossils
The fossil collection of the Museum including marine animals such as sharks and molluscs,
as well as some land animals such as mastodons, crocodiles and monkeys.
They represents the fauna that existed in Touraine provinces of France in a sub-tropical climate.
The museum was opened in 1973, in the guard tower of the Porte de Courcelles,
defensive element of the fortifications of Savigné, dating from the 16th century.
The aim of the Museum is acquiring, maintaining and presenting collections of fossils discovered
in the Faluns basin of Savigneen as well as all the objects, tools and materials that have
contributed to the life of the population.
Dinosaur museum in Esperaza on postmark of
France from 1998-2000.
Many dinosaur's fossils and nests were discovered near town Espéraza in south France.
These fossils were dated by late Cretaceous period (75 to 65 million years go).
In 1992, the Dinosaur Museum was opened near the excavation site.
The museum have over three dozen of dinosaur species on the display.
The most complete dinosaur skeleton in collection of the museum
and the most complete dinosaur skeleton ever found in France,
The specimen was discovered in August 2001 by Eva Morvan, a geology student who provided the nickname "Eva".
The dinosaur is estimated be around 12 meters long, 2.5 meters tall and weighing 10-15 metric tons.
It appears to be juvenile, as some adult bones found in the area are about twice as large.
This Dinosaur Hall of the Museum offers a walk around dinosaurs and other reptiles originating from the four
corners of the globe, some of which are presented for the first time in
France or Europe:
Tsintaosaurus, Tuojiangosaurus, Mamenchisaurus, as well as the skull of a
Triceratops and the gigantic reptile flying Quetzalocoatlus.
[R27] Quetzalocoatlus is the largest flying reptile of all time, with wingspan of 12 meter.
Dinosaurs and Quetzalocoatlus skeletons and skulls in the Dinosaur's Hall of the Esperaza Dinosaur Museum.
Images credit: official website of the Esperaza Dinosaur Museum.
Natural History Museum of Reunion
Réunion is an island in the Indian Ocean that is an overseas department and region of France.
It is located approximately 550 km east of the island of Madagascar and 175 km southwest
of the island of Mauritius.
Natural History Museum of Reunion on postmark of France 2005.
As of January 2022, it had a population of 868,846.
At the heart of the State Garden is the Natural History Museum.
It occupies the premises of the Legislative Palace, built in 1834 to house the Colonial Council until 1848.
It became a Museum in 1855.
It houses a collection of current and extinct fauna from the islands of the western Indian Ocean
(Reunion, Madagascar, the Seychelles, etc.)
The Museum also has a very rich old library, since it contains quite rare original editions such
as those of the work of Spallanzani, Réaumur, Lacépède and works of great value such as the complete
works of Linné, Buffon, de Cuvier and de Grandidier on Madagascar.
Some display cases are devoted to the mechanisms of evolution, making it possible to explain the
significant diversity and the high degree of endemism of the Malagasy fauna: to be particularly
noted is the second display, which highlights scene of birds of the Vangidae family with beaks
all different from each other.
Its objective is to introduce the visitor to the concept of adaptive radiation and evolution which
is generally explained in the works from the historical observation of the finches of the Galapagos
made by Charles Darwin.
Known Philatelic items:
the postmark "150th anniversary of Natural History Museum of Reunion" of France 2005 (see above)
Indonesia Museum Geology Bandung
The Bandung Geological Museum is a technical unit in the Department of Energy and Mineral Resources.
Its collection includes minerals, rocks, fossils and some artifacts from the entire
archipelago of Indonesia.
This museum is one of the largest museums in Southeast Asia.
The Museum’s collection is archived and documented with a digital database with over 250,000 mineral and
rock samples and over 60,000 fossils of various age and type.
Related stamps: Indonesia 2004
Japan The National Museum of Nature and Science
The first museum in Japan was established at Yushima in Ochanomizu, Tokyo, in 1872.
It then was called the Museum of the Ministry of Education and was designed
to exhibit zoological and botanical specimen as well as
various kinds of minerals and fossils.
The name of the museum was later changed to the Tokyo Museum, and in
1877 it made a fresh start as the Educational Museum.
This is the origin of the present science museum.
In June, 1949, under the law for the establishment of the Education Ministry, the museum was placed under
the jurisdiction of the Education Minister.
Its name was changed to the present National Science Museum.
The only museum of this kind in Japan, the National Science Museum makes
research and studies of the history of nature and natural science, exhibits data related
to the studies for public view and contributes to the diffusion of knowledge concerning
the history of nature and natural science among the people.
Today this museum is a guardian of a valuable collection of over 4 million specimens.
The Museum’s extensive collection is presented in many exhibitions.
In 2010, the Museum welcomed over 1.8 million visitors.
The National Museum of Nature and Science serves as the central research
institute for natural history and the history of science and technology.
The Museum collects and systematically organizes the specimens for the national collection,
preserving this heritage for the benefit of the future generation.
As the country’s leading museum, the Museum also contributes to deepen the people’s appreciation
of earth, life, science, and technology by promoting social education.
Related stamps: Japan 1977
Moldova The National Museum of Ethnography and Natural History of the Republic of Moldova
is the first Moldavian museum.
It was founded in 1889 by baron Stuart (first, it was called "Zoological, Agricultural, and Handicraft Museum of
Basarabia") and during the 20th century it was used as a laboratory by the local scientists:
F. Ostermann, S. Miller, F. Porouchik, I. Sukhov, B. Taraboukhin, M. Pocoara and others.
The Museum was constructed in 1905, and its Oriental style is unique in Moldova.
Over the years, the Museum has maintained two basic directions for its scientific effort:
ethnology and natural history.
Now it is famous for its geological, paleontological, zoological, entomological,
archaeological, ethnographical and numismatic collections.
Among the thousands of Museum's exhibits, there is a fully articulated skeleton of the
proboscid Deinotherium gigantismus, as well as famous archaeological treasures,
Bessarabian carpets of the 19th century, etc.
The Museum’s collections are periodically loaned for exhibition in the museums of Europe, t
he Americas, Asia, and Africa to highlight the cultural heritage of the Republic of Moldova.