|Michel: 999-1002 Scott: 1387-1390 Stanley Gibbons: 1377-1380 Yvert: 889-893 UPU: N/A Category: pR
|Stamps in set
6c - "American Bald Eagle"
6c - "African elephant herd"
6c - "Tlingit chief in Haida ceremonial canoe"
6c - "The age of reptiles"
|Size (width x height)
|stamps per sheet
|Lithographed and engraved, multicolor
|Bureau of Engraving and Printing
|U.S. Postal Service
Although "brontosaurus" is a better-known name, scientists now refer to this giant, plant-eating dinosaur as an "apatosaurus" because the name was first used to identify the beast, and the first name used holds throughout. They are five-toed, long-necked dinosaurs, who were the dominant herbivores of their time. Stegosaurus is a plated dinosaur that had a blimp-like body, long hind legs, short front legs, and a small head. Its long, heavy tail carried several pairs of long, bony spikes. The midline of its back had two rows of unpaired bony plates. Allosaurus was a large carnivorous dinosaur that had a weight exceeding four tons. It walked on only two legs, using its long, heavy tail for balance.
The stamp is reproduction of a build of Rudoph Zallinger, as shown on left side.
Zallinger was one of the pioneers of of paleontological art, perhaps second only to Charles R. Knight in that respect. Zallinger is best known for his stunning mural, The Age of Reptiles, that covers the entire east wall of the Yale Peabody Museum's Great Hall. The mural depicts the evolution of life on earth over 300 million years, with different sections, separated by the visual device of foreground trees, for geologic periods. It was painted with egg tempera in the fresco secco method; meaning "dry plaster", as opposed to the more familiar traditional method of painting with into wet plaster (buon fresco) as practiced by Michelangelo for his frescos in the Sistine Chapel.
Most of the Museum's collections of mammalian and dinosaur fossils remain hidden from public view. They are kept in numerous storage areas located deep within the Museum complex. Among these, the most significant storage facility is the ten story Childs Frick Building which stands within an inner courtyard of the Museum. During construction of the Frick, giant cranes were employed to lift steel beams directly from the street, over the roof, and into the courtyard, in order to ensure that the classic museum facade remained undisturbed. The predicted great weight of the fossil bones led designers to add special steel reinforcement to the building's framework, as it now houses the largest collection of fossil mammals and dinosaurs in the world. These collections occupy the basement and lower seven floors of the Frick Building, while the top three floors contain laboratories and offices. It is inside this particular building that many of the Museum's intensive research programs into vertebrate paleontology are carried out.
|part of Mini Sheet
Last update 10.01.2018
Any feedback, comments or even complaints are welcome: [email protected] (you can email me on ENglish, DEutsch, or RUssian)